Tuesday, July 5, 2011

this cake is not a lie



  

Every so often, I'll get a sudden urge to cook. I'm absolutely awkward in the kitchen usually, so much that my mom kindly asks me to leave most every time I enter it while she's busy working her magic. But! I am not hopeless, because for some bizarre reason I'm halfway decent at baking. Nothing else (don't ask me to chop, mince, slice, caramelize, simmer...it will not end well) but baking. It started with chocolate chip cookies and now I've baked my first cake from scratch! This is an Earl Grey tea cake that is wonderfully moist and fluffy. 

    
Mmm. The chocolate-chip like dots = tea leaves!
 

I used this recipe, which I discovered via this awesome site. Now, the recipe called for rhubarb and cream cheese in the glaze, but apparently everyone and their grandmother in my town wanted to use rhubarb this week, as all the grocery stores were sold out. My mother informed me of the presence of some blueberries in the fridge so I used them instead. My cake doesn't have the light pink color now, but I do like the dark purple-red the blueberries gave it. I also dusted the top with cocoa powder (ooh, look at me, bein' all creative). Definitely a recipe I recommend you try! It's a perfect summery cake, and I can't wait to try this recipe with other kinds of teas and glazes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment